The Square of Liberty, or Pjaceta (Italian word piazzetta) with magnificent holm oak. planted as a sign of liberation from the Italian occupation in 1921 after the First World War. is a particularly favourite place of the people of Rab. It has always been the centre of the upper part of the town, which has always been spiritual, gentle and tamed, filled with melancholic domiciliation. Ever since ancient times it has been situated on the intersection of the main transversal (cardo maximus) and the Upper Street (Gronja ulica). In the medieval age it was named Katurbo or the Dais of St. Thomas (Sv. Toma) after the early-Christian church closed it from the western side. In the 16th century a monastery church of St. Justine was erected in its place.
On the eastern side there is one of the numerous palaces of the family Dominis with the coat of arms on the front Renaissance portal. On the northern side, at the beginning of the Upper Street, although restored, there is the palace Galzigna boasting early-Renaissance features. Somewhere in its surroundings there was the biggest town tower of St. Stephan (Sv. Stjepan), named in descriptions of the miraculous defence of the town by the intervention of St. Christophor in the 11th century. The people of Rab. enriched by successful manufacture and trade activities, obtained in 1574. on the occasion of the successfully won sea battle against the Turkish fleet at Lepant, a permit to erect a monastery for the Benedictine nunnery along with the church of St. Justine. Important figures of the St. Alliance are shown on the pall of the main magnificent wooden altar, painted in the beginning of the 17th century by a Dutch painter Baldassare d'Anna who worked in Venice and in Dalmatia.
The church itself is a simple one-naval structure with a rectangular, one step elevated sanctuary. The chancel of the church is on the western side, which does not have a facade because the church was supported by monastery buildings. It was carried by the pillars with Proto-Romanesque capitals of the 11th century, probably the remnants of the previous church of St. Thomas. The western wall contains an altar with a valuable late-Renaissance canvas oil painting, showing the death of St. Joseph dating from the end of the 16th and the beginning of the 17th centuries. Also very important are the gravostones in the church with coats of arms and symbolic demonstration of the craft.
The bell-tower is made in simple Baroque forms with an arched dome, which was built in 1672. The monastery was repealed in the beginning of the 19th century and it was replaced by the mansion Antonieta (Vila Antonieta), built in inappropriate pseudo stylistic forms.